- One 12 oz bag dry black beans
- 1/2 cup dried onion flakes
- 2 garlic cloves or 3 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon chipotle seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Ingredients for the burgers
- 1 can corn kernels
- 1 1/2 cups frozen red and green pepper mix
- 3 carrots chopped small or 1/2 bag match stick sized pre- cut carrots aprox. 1 cup
- pinch of ground cayenne pepper or chili pepper
- 1 1/2 cup oats put through grinder or ground in food processor
- 1 cup rice chex cereal also put in grinder or food processor
- 1 egg
- Prepare the beans- soak the beans overnight. (cook in pasta pot or other large pot)
- Drain the beans and place in large pot with enough water to cover plus an additional inch of water.
- Season the water with olive oil, garlic, chipotle seasoning, and onions.
- Bring water and beans to a boil. Boil 2 minutes, lower heat to simmer, cover with lid and cook 1hour until beans are tender.
- Drain the beans.
- Check flavor after draining. I added 1 teaspoon more of granulated garlic and chipotle seasoning. Now add pinch of cayenne pepper or chili pepper.
- Mash the beans with potato masher. Stir in whisked egg. Set aside
- using 1 tablespoon or less olive oil saute peppers, carrots, & drained corn in skillet over medium high to high heat until cooked and all liquid dries up.
- Place the cooked vegetables in food processor or grinder and puree.
- Mix the vegetable puree into beans add 1 cup milled oats and the milled rice chex cereal. Stir until well combined. If the mixture is too wet add more milled oats. Consistency should look like meat loaf.
- use an egg ring to form patties on a baking sheet sprayed with vegetable oil. Makes 12 to 13 black bean burgers.
- cover the burgers on the baking sheet with plastic wrap and freeze 1 hour
- Bake 400′ F. for 20 to 25 minutes or nicely browned.
Homemade Black Bean Burgers